Friday, September 30, 2011

Focus and definitions: part 2

As I have been working on my report I have added to my definitions and to what I am doing as it has become clearer to me.

The last headings I spoke about were:





  1. Art jewellery


  2. Narrative Jewellery


  3. Fragility


  4. transience



I now add Metaphor and explain the difference between meatphor and symbolism.




In this exploration I am dealing with my personal ideas and views on the life as I see it which is based on my personal experiences and values which are influenced by my surroundings, my close community and society. These all make up the world around me.




In expressing the above in the form of jewellery I am making my ideas, thoughts and feelings more tangible by using metaphors which help make these concepts and ideas easier to understand. In short I am dealing with:






  1. Subject matter: hydrangea flowers and toy soldiers become metaphors for fragility and transience in my work. I use the Hydrangea flower as a metaphor for life which includes the cycles and stages of this flowers life cycle linking it to the human life cycle aswell as focuing on the fragility and impermanence of this flower which holds within it transient value. I have subverted the little ary men and have taken away their weapons and the objects in thier hands that are not symbolic of life but rather destruction and i have given them "friendlier" objects and have "dis-armed" them.


  2. Techniques and Materials- Deliberate choices of materials and techniques will add to my concepts of fragility and transience






No comments:

Post a Comment